School Library Media Certification By State (2013)
State: New Jersey
New Jersey Department of Education
Office of Licensing and Credentials
PO Box 500
Trenton, NJ 08625-0500
Phone: 609-292-2070 (2-4pm)
New Jersey Department of Education:
Teacher Licensure Needed: Yes
Master's Degree Needed: No
Praxis II Library Media Content Test Needed: No
Other Testing Needed: No
Description: The school library media specialist endorsement, as an Educational Specialist, is required for anyone that serves as a school library media specialist in grades pre-school through 12.
Evaluation Process for Licensure:
To be eligible for the School Library Media (SLMS) Certificate of Eligibility (CE) endorsement, a candidate must:
- 1. Hold a Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university; or
- 2. A graduate curriculum approved by the Department of Education as the basis of the certificate; or
- 3. A Master’s degree in library media studies from a regionally accredited college; or
- 4. A program of graduate studies consisting of at least 36 semester-hour credits in a coherent sequence of library studies.
To be eligible for the SLMS Certificate of Advanced Eligibility (CEAS) the candidate must completed the requirements for the CE endorsement and one of the following:
- 1. Hold a standard New Jersey or out-of state instructional certificate.
- 2. Complete a State approved college teacher preparation program with or without student teaching; or
- 3. Complete a coherent college program at a regionally accredited college or university that includes a minimum of nine semester hour credits in educational theory, curriculum design and integration, teaching methodology, student/learning development, and behavior management.
To be eligible for a provisional education a services certificate with a SLMS endorsement, the candidate shall:
- 1. Possess a SLMS CE or CEAS; and
- 2. Obtain an offer of employment in a position that requires the SLMS endorsement.
To be eligible for the standard educational services certificate with a SLMS endorsement, a candidate shall:
- 1. Possess a provisional educational services certificate with a SLMS endorsement
- 2. Complete a coherent college program at a regionally accredited college or university that includes a minimum of nine semester hour credits in educational theory, curriculum design and integration, teaching methodology, student/learning development, and behavior management. Holders of the SLMS CEAS are exempt from this requirement.
- 3. Complete graduate level coursework in the school library media topics that were not included in the candidate’s library media master’s program. Holders of the SLMS CEAS are exempt from this requirement.
- 4. Complete a year- long school based residency program in a school library media center. A certified school administrator, principal or supervisor shall provide supervision during the candidate’s provisional year.
Reciprocity: New Jersey follows the Interstate Agreement with the 50 states and the District of Columbia in the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education & Certification (NASDEC). However, one must meet the state’s requirements for teaching licensure because NASDEC is not a law. Further information can be found at: http://www.nasdtec.org.